UltraLITE Model ELU
(1.5kW to 14kW)
Meeting the NFPA 101 and NFPA 111 standards, the UltraLITE Model ELU is considered “Life Safety Equipment.” It is also UL 924 listed as “Emergency Lighting Equipment,” providing the required 90 minutes of emergency backup power, and is 100% compatible with all lighting applications and life safety systems. The voltage regulation and performance characteristics of the Model ELU extend ballast, LED driver, and lamp life, which make this product an advantageous choice over competing lighting inverters.
Whether fed from the AC power source or even while in battery mode, the ELU has a peak overload capability up to 1400% to accommodate inrush current from LED fixtures!
Optional Seismic-Rated Models Available!
The ELU has been shake-table tested and each of our models are offered with an optional seismic rating. These models meet seismic standards which satisfy applicable portions of the California Building Code (CBC 2016) and the International Building Code (IBC 2015). The verification testing required is recognized and accepted throughout the U.S. and many other countries.
Learn more about our seismic testing and certification!
Single Phase Sizes: 1.5kW, 2.2kW, 3.0kW, 3.5kW, 4.2kW, 5.0kW, 6.0kW, 7.0kW, 7.5kW, 8.5kW, 10kW, 12.5kW, 13.5kW, 14kW.
- Automatic self-testing, data logging, and reporting per NFPA 101 – 188.8.131.52.3.
- Available Intellistat monitor with color touchscreen display provides the industry’s most advanced life safety system testing available!
- Uninterrupted, regulated, continuous sine wave output for use with “normally on” lighting fixtures and exit lamps, LED and HID compatible
- Standby output for use with “normally off” emergency lighting fixtures
- Delivers highly filtered and spike-free power to emergency lighting fixtures, LED drivers, and “Life Safety Equipment”
- True online double conversion topology provides conditioned, regulated power and 100% reliability to emergency lighting loads
- System approved for 42k AIC source
- High-speed automatic static bypass
- Variable-range logic provides added security during deep brownout conditions as low as -40% of the nominal voltage, without battery consumption
- Dual output voltage configurations: 120V & 277V, 120V & 208V, 120V & 240V, 120V & 347V
- Standard internal make-before-break bypass switch
- Front access distribution, with lockable drop-down panel door
- Field modifiable output circuit breakers (CBs) – Up to 20 pole positions available
- Optional CB trip indicator alarm/light
- NEMA1 enclosure
- Optional zone sensing
- Optional control device override (wall switch, occupancy sensor, dimmer, etc.)
- Optional Ethernet/MODBUS/BACnet communications for remote monitoring
- Input Operating Voltage Range: +12%, -30% typical, load-dependent, without battery usage; +12%, -15% at full load
- Input Frequency: 60 Hz, ± 2%
- Input Current Harmonic Distortion: < 5% THD
- Output Sine Wave Voltage: Typically 3% output THD with linear load
- Output Regulation: Typically better than ± 2%
- Overload: Up to 125% for 30 cycles, 150% for 4 cycles when fed from the AC power source, or on battery (without use of static bypass)
- LED Inrush Rating: Peak overload capability up to 1400% to accommodate inrush current from LED fixtures (without use of static bypass.)
- Standard Unit Operating Temperature:
UL 1778 and UL 924 Aux. listed at 0° C to 40° C
UL 924 Emergency Lighting Equipment listed at 20° C to 30° C
C-UL listed to CSA C22.2 No. 141-15 at 20° C to 30° C
- Inverter Efficiency: 90% typical
- Audible Noise: < 50dB
- Security/Public Address Systems
- Subways/Mass Transit
- Parking Structures/Garages
- Shopping Malls
- Banks/Financial Institutions
- Airport Terminals
- Apartment Buildings
Learn more about this product! Read our brochures and other supporting documents!
Multiple Voltage Capabilities
UL924 Auxiliary Lighting and Power
Remote Input Command
Local Control Override
Egress Lighting Integrity Test
Advanced Remote Monitoring
Advanced Remote Monitoring MODBUS
Advanced Remote Monitoring BACnet
Design Flexibility of Inverters
Critical Healthcare Environments
- ELU Seismic Testing and Certification
What are centralized lighting inverters and why use them?
- A centralized lighting inverter is an electronic system that converts DC battery power to standard AC voltages to provide back-up for emergency lighting systems during a power outage. Centralized lighting inverters provide a single point source of power for all emergency lighting and exit signs. This source provides for a controlled logical wiring scheme and results in a single point for monthly and annual testing.
Is the UltraLITE Model ELU NFPA 101 compliant?
- YES! The Model ELU is compatible with NFPA 101, 184.108.40.206.3 “Periodic Testing of Emergency Lighting Equipment.”
Is the UltraLITE Model ELU a fast transfer lighting inverter system?
- The answer is NO ... it’s better! Fast transfer systems do experience a break in power. The Model ELU has an online, double conversion, topology which means that the inverter is always on. If there is a loss of power, the inverter will draw energy from the batteries instead of the normal AC input source, with no break in the power. Thus, the Model ELU exceeds the performance of all fast transfer systems
Does the UltraLITE Model ELU preserve battery life?
- YES! The more a battery is discharged, the shorter the life. The Model ELU incorporates Variable Range Logic into its design. This is a feature that adjusts the switch to battery point based upon the percentage of load. Under lighter loads, the switch to battery point can be as low as -40% of the nominal voltage. Most other inverters will switch to battery at around -15% of the input voltage. So in the event of a brownout condition, the Model ELU will still maintain regulated power to the lights, without switching to battery backup. This results in the extended life of the batteries, which reduces the cost of maintenance.
Does the UltraLITE Model ELU have a transfer time, and if so, is it important?
- The Model ELU DOES NOT have a transfer time because of its online, double conversion topology. Transfer time is the time it takes to recognize and deliver emergency power. The transfer time of any standby or "fast transfer" inverter results in a momentary interruption or break in output voltage. For many applications, this is simply not desirable. A zero transfer time insures that there is no interruption of power to the emergency lighting fixtures. Lighting control systems and alarm circuits may also need a no break type system because of the circuit power requirements.
Does the UltraLITE Model ELU extend the life of lighting fixtures?
- YES! The Model ELU insures clean, regulated and isolated power to all lighting fixtures, protecting them from adverse electrical conditions that could damage or shorten ballast, LED driver, and lamp life. This protection improves the overall performance and reliability of emergency lighting fixtures and the life safety system.
Is the UltraLITE Model ELU capable of operating both normally off and normally on lighting fixtures?
- YES! Available on the Model ELU is a Normally On and optional Normally Off (standby) output bus. Both outputs may be configured with branch circuit breakers, allowing for an easy and less expensive installation.
What are the benefits associated with supplying conditioned power and regulated voltage to emergency lighting fixtures?
- The UltraLITE Model ELU supplies conditioned power and regulated voltage for emergency lighting fixtures, including electronic ballasts and LED drivers, resulting in: Voltage sag and surge protection. Longer wire runs without upsizing the wire because the regulated voltage source minimizes voltage drop. Less-frequent replacement of ballasts, lamps, and LED lighting fixtures in particular! It’s critical to note that facility egress lumens are maintained at 100% (will not diminish) over the full 90 minutes of emergency power.
Can the UltraLITE Model ELU support different types of lighting at different voltages simultaneously?
- YES! If emergency power must be supplied at two different nominal voltages (i.e. 120 VAC and 277 VAC) to power the designated emergency lighting fixtures, the Model ELU can be configured to satisfy this requirement. The Model ELU can supply both voltages simultaneously, without the need of external transformers. This capability applies to both normally on and normally off fixtures. Output distribution breakers can be provided to support any available voltage configuration.
- Dual voltage combinations include 208/120V, 240/120V, 277/120V, and 347/120V.
Controlled Power Company warrants the UltraLITE Model ELU Emergency Lighting Inverter to be free from defects in material and workmanship for a period of two (2) years following shipment from the factory. Batteries are warranted with a one (1) year full replacement, and 14 year pro-rated warranty. Controlled Power Company agrees to replace, F.O.B. its factory, any parts which fault through defect in material or workmanship during the warranty period.
Warranty begins from date of shipment unless a factory start-up is purchased, then the warranty begins from date of start-up or 90 days from ship date; whichever comes first.
Consult the factory for additional warranty details, and a description of start-up services provided.
Sign Up for news
SEE WHAT’S NEW ON OUR NEWS + BLOGVIEW ALL POSTS
NEW! “TrueLITE Model ELS” Three Phase Emergency Lighting Inverter!
We continue to capitalize on market-driven features that electrical distributors, contractors, and lighting engineers are seeking in their emergency lighting projects. And as a result … we’re excited to introduce and launch our NEW “TrueLITE…read more >
“FastLITE Model FST” Product Update!
Since the release of our “FastLITE Model FST” fast-transfer emergency lighting inverter this past winter, we’ve received a number of requests for 120 minutes runtime. We’re excited to announce that we now have this update!…read more >
High Efficiency, Fast-Transfer Emergency Lighting Inverter
Now more than ever before, LED fixtures are being used for emergency lighting applications. And electrical power quality plays a big role in those LED fixtures. When we took a look at the needs of…read more >
Maximize Profits Through Power Quality!
Is your industrial facility, sensitive electronic instrumentation, or automation process experiencing fluctuating voltages, line noise, or brownouts … thus disrupting your normal operation and production processes? Are you looking for a permanent solution? Disruptive electrical…read more >