(3.1kVA - 7.5kVA)
The MD Series is a single phase, seamless transfer, uninterruptible power system providing premium power to various types of loads ranging from industrial to information technology. The overall function of the MD Series is to take polluted, fluctuating, and erratic electrical power that exists in all areas and purify it, resulting in well-regulated, clean, uninterrupted, computer-grade power. Up to 18 minutes of internal battery backup is provided, model-dependent, with external battery options available providing several hours of runtime at full load.
Single Phase Sizes: 3.1kVA, 3.5kVA, 4.5kVA, 5.0kVA, 6.0kVA, 7.0kVA, 7.5kVA
- Steady Regulated Voltage to +/- 3%
- 100% Power Conditioning
- No-Break Continuous Power Providing Seamless Switching to Battery
- Field Expandable Power Rating and Battery Run Time
- 94% Efficiency
- Computer Grade Electrical Isolation
- Switch Mode Rated
- Internal Bypass Option that “Maintains System Isolation and Voltage Transformation” when in Bypass Mode
- Optional NetMinder Ethernet/MODBUS Adapter for Remote Monitoring
- Voltage Regulation: +/3%
- Load Regulation: typically better than +/- 3%
- Overload Capability: 125% for 10 min
- Surge Capability: 150% of rated output
- Input Operating Range: +10 to -40% (typical)
- Input Current THD: < 10%
- K-Factor: 30 or better
- Operating Temperature: 0°C to 40°C
- Common Mode Noise Attenuation: 120dB
- Transverse Mode (Line) Noise Attenuation: 70dB
- Spike Attenuation 3000:1
- Crest Factor 3.5:1
- Networking LAN/WAN
- Information Technology
- Industrial Controls
- Medical Labs
- Communication Closets
- Voicemail Systems
Learn more about this product! Read our brochures and other supporting documents!
Is the MD a standby UPS?
- No. The MD uses a seamless ferroresonant transfer system to secure optimum performance. Unlike standby systems that do nothing until power fails, the MD conditions, regulates, and filters the power 100% of the time. The load receives a steady, spike-free, sine wave voltage regardless if the incoming power is in or out of acceptable range.
How does the MD regulate voltage?
- The MD incorporates a highly efficient ferroresonant transformer that produces a steady output voltage over a wide range of input voltages. Even in severe brownout conditions, the MD delivers regulated voltage to within +/-3% without using battery power.
How does the MD correct for bad power?
- The ferroresonant transformer remains in the power circuit 100% of the time. Since the transformer is designed to pass only 60Hz, the power distortion of other frequencies will not be present in the output. The MD corrects for bad input voltage waveforms with distortion levels as high as 40%. Most standby UPS units will not tolerate over 7% distortion, they switch to battery backup. The MD preserves the battery power for only outages.
What level of TVSS (surge) protection is offered by the MD?
- The limited protection that a standby UPS offers is from its TVSS circuit. The typical TVSS protection is no more than a couple of dime- to nickel-sized metal oxide varistors (MOVs), offering limited and temporary protection. In contrast, the MD protects the load with 100 pounds or better of pure transformer steel. The transformer absorbs the high energy transients leaving the load solidly protected. In addition, it also replenishes the energy where notching and reverse spiking occur.
Is it true that the MD improves the operation of equipment connected to it?
- Yes. The output filter circuit removes unwanted frequencies generated by non-linear loads. This characteristic lowers the high load current demand and improves the power factor. The load feels gentler currents and produces much less heat, increasing its efficiency and extending its life.
How does the MD correct for ground noise, when other UPS's of similar VA sizes do not?
- The MD uses a high level isolation ferroresonant transformer for power conditioning. Only an isolation transformer removes common mode noise (the noise generated on the ground lead). Most other uninterruptible power systems use an auto transformer for some voltage correction functions and ignore the need for common mode noise attenuation.
How does the MD correct for improper site wiring?
- Site wiring is always an unknown. There may be voltage variations, ground current that causes disruptive operation (unsolvable with TVSS), mixed grounds, etc. The MD’s ferroresonant transformer generates the equivalent of a new power source dedicated to the load. It creates a new clean ground reference and establishes a central ground point for all loads. The new ground assures that data spike attenuation networks are at the most optimal location (the shortest lead length to ground).
How does the MD provide superior isolation compared to typical units of the same size?
- Most standby UPS systems just pass the incoming power directly to the load without any regulation, power conditioning, and/or isolation. The MD uses a special ferroresonant isolation transformer for power purification and isolation.
Does the MD do anything to correct for load-generated harmonics?
- Yes. The MD’s ferroresonant transformer acts as a band pass filter, allowing only 60 cycles to pass. Load generated noise and harmonics are trapped in the output of the MD, preventing the unwanted harmonics from reaching the input power source. Standby uninterruptible power systems simply don't do anything for harmonics; you live with the results.
Controlled Power Company warrants the MD Series Uninterruptible Power Systems to be free from defects in material and workmanship for a period of one (1) year following shipment from the factory. Batteries are warranted with a one (1) year full replacement warranty, and an optional four (4) year pro-rate with applicable maintenance contract. Controlled Power Company agrees to replace, F.O.B. its factory, any parts which fault through defect in material or workmanship during the warranty period.
Warranty begins from date of shipment unless a factory start-up is purchased, then the warranty begins from date of start-up or 90 days from ship date; whichever comes first.
Consult the factory for additional warranty details, and a description of start-up services provided.
Sign Up for news
SEE WHAT’S NEW ON OUR NEWS + BLOGVIEW ALL POSTS
Controlled Power Company Launches Newly Re-Designed Website
Controlled Power Company, a U.S. manufacturer of a full line of commercial, industrial, and medical-grade electrical power quality solutions, announces the launch of its newly re-designed website, www.controlledpwr.com. Using a contemporary development platform, the new…read more >
Emergency Egress Lighting Solutions
Just curious … as a lighting designer or specifying engineer, are you able to thoroughly investigate the available commercial / industrial emergency egress lighting solutions? As you specify UL 924 Listed battery backup products (for example, wall-mounted “bug-eyes”, emergency ballasts,…read more >
Bad Power WILL Cost You Money!
While the electric utilities do a good job of generating quality power, it’s through the very nature of electrical transmission and distribution that these utility companies then ‘lose control’ of the quality of the electric…read more >
NEW! Seismic-rated Emergency Lighting Inverters
Controlled Power Company www.controlledpwr.com, a U.S. manufacturer of a full line of commercial, industrial, and medical-grade electrical power solutions, announces the availability of seismic-rated, centralized emergency lighting inverters. The company’s single phase “UltraLITE Model ELU”…read more >