(Automatic Average Current Density)
The AACD (Automatic Average Current Density) is an automatic rectifier voltage controller that controls the current density of the parts that are being painted in an e-coat process. By regulating current density, the AACD assures uniform paint film thickness in applications where groups of various-sized parts enter the tank at different times. This uniformity reduces paint consumption, improves quality, and can reduce or eliminate part rejection.
By using the AACD, under-coating is reduced or eliminated and over-coating is corrected. Note, too, that by correcting for over-coating, the AACD will reduce paint and energy consumption! With a short-term ROI (typically 1 – 6 months, part/loading pattern dependent), the AACD offers tremendous customer benefits when used in a continuous conveyor or batch e-coat process.
The video illustrates a continuous conveyor e-coat process, and it simulates voltage and paint film thickness both with and without invoking the AACD. Black bar graphs represent the AACD as “off” while blue bar graphs represent the AACD as “on.” The film thickness graph represents actual data, but has been expanded to clarify the results.
- Narrows paint film deviation between various sized parts
- Reduces/eliminates under-coating and over-coating
- If over-coating, reduces excess paint and energy consumption
- Multiple recipe control when different film thicknesses are required for various part runs
- Compatible with both continuous conveyor and batch processes
- Digital monitoring of rectifier, including voltage and current trending
- Multi-zone compatible
- Multiple PLC platforms available
- Compatible with various substrates
- May be retrofitted to most e-coat rectifiers
- Optional bath temperature voltage compensation
- When ordered with a new Controlled power rectifier, “HMI/OIT” (human-machine interface/operator interface terminal) are physically integrated into the rectifier, thus eliminating the need for an external enclosure, external single phase power, and the running of any external signal wires
- Input Power Source: Single phase 120 VAC, 60Hz; or 220 VAC, 50Hz
- Enclosure: All steel, NEMA 2 rated
- Mounting: Secures to rectifier cabinet or any vertical surface
- Weight: 60 lbs.
- Dimensions: 16”W x 8”D x 20”H
Learn more about this product! Read our brochures and other supporting documents!
How much can I save with the AACD?
- We have seen savings of up to $50,000 per year and in one case even $1,000,000 per year. (Note that savings depend upon system configuration and volume of parts.)
Can the end user program the AACD?
- Yes. The AACD can be programmed by the end user via a touch screen display. A technician from the factory is not required.
What improvements are achieved by using the AACD?
- Paint Savings: Variations are reduced to about +/- 0.1 mil or +/- 2.5 microns of target film builds.
- Energy Savings: The ability to control the rectifier voltage and eliminate over-coating results in less energy consumption during the e-coat process.
- Labor Savings: Automatic voltage control eliminates the need to manually adjust the voltage during the e-coat processes.
- Quality Improvements: Rework costs are drastically reduced, if not eliminated.
What tolerances on film build can I expect to achieve with the AACD?
- There are many factors to consider. However, if groups of parts are loaded fairly consistently, then the AACD can achieve film build tolerances to within 0.1 mil or 2.5 microns.
Does the AACD require a part detection system?
- No. The AACD uses proprietary software to set voltage levels based upon current levels in the paint tank.
What is required for AACD Installation?
Typically the following four criteria are required:
- Hardwired 120V or 220V single phase source, 5A.
- Approximately 15 signal wires (16 awg or 18 awg), and one must be shielded (rectifier and configuration dependent).
- Conduit for signal wires running from the AACD enclosure to inside the rectifier.
- A Controlled Power Company technician to perform the internal wiring of the rectifier and the initial setup of the system.
- Typically the following four criteria are required:
Will the AACD work with any rectifier manufacturer?
- Yes! The AACD is a universal product which can be wired to control any adjustable DC power supply.
Controlled Power Company warrants the AACD (Automatic Average Current Density) to be free from defects in material and workmanship for a period of one (1) year following shipment from the factory. Controlled Power Company agrees to replace, F.O.B. its factory, any parts which fault through defect in material or workmanship during the warranty period.
Consult the factory for additional warranty details, and a description of start-up services provided.
Sign Up for news
SEE WHAT’S NEW ON OUR NEWS + BLOGVIEW ALL POSTS
A lot more excitement happening here at Trystar’s Troy, MI location! We want to take a few minutes to share how our re-branding effort has continued to take shape over the past few weeks! …read more >
CPC & Trystar Officially Launch New Re-branding!
You’ve known us as Controlled Power Company (CPC) for a long time. While we’re still the same electrical power quality solutions provider that you’ve trusted, we are continuing to integrate our business with Trystar. Trystar…read more >
Our Guiding Principles & Values
Over the past few months, Controlled Power Company has continued to grow and prosper as we integrate with Trystar, LLC. While we are now solely owned by Trystar (a Faribault, Minnesota-based manufacturer of portable industrial…read more >
NEW! “TrueLITE Model ELS” Three Phase Emergency Lighting Inverter!
We continue to capitalize on market-driven features that electrical distributors, contractors, and lighting engineers are seeking in their emergency lighting projects. And as a result … we’re excited to introduce and launch our NEW “TrueLITE…read more >